1. Mussels, with the shells. - 1/2 Kg
2. Rice flour 1 cup
3. Turmeric powder a pinch
4. Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
5. Shallots 5-6
6. Coconut 3/4 cup
7. Ginger 1 tsp crushed
8. Garlic pods 1 tsp
9. Green chillies 2 small
10. Onion 1 small
11. Curry leaves few
12. Coriander powder 1 tsp
13. Kashmiri chilly powder 1 tsp
14. Garam Masala powder 1/2 tsp
15. Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Authentic Thalassery is prepared by using parboiled rice. Rice is soaked and ground coarsely, without adding water, with coconut, cumin and shallots.
Here I am using my Mom's own recipe, which follows.
1. Clean mussels well and cook by adding salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
2. Cut onion into small pieces and saute in coconut oil.
3. When they are translucent, add ginger, garlic, green chillies, one by one. Make the curry leaves very small by tearing to small pieces and add.
4. When they are saute well, add coriander powder, chilli powder and GM powder.
5. Now add the cooked mussels and boil off any water that remains.
6. Grind coconut, shallots, cumin and little turmeric powder to a paste. A very fine paste is not needed.
Boil 3/4 cup of water, and add it to the rice flour and kneed well as you do for Idiyappam.
Now add the coconut paste and kneed well.
7. Make equal sized balls and stuff the cooked mussels equally inside the balls.
8. Now stuff the balls into two of the shells each.
9. Deep fry each shell and serve hot.